Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Raindrops

When was the last time I felt that I was wet with sound of life? When was the last time the earth seemed a perfumed paradise? I guess it was the last monsoons. 

Two days back the soft pelts of cool refreshing moisture hit me once again while I was returning after a tiring day's work from my office. The sky seemed a hushed theatre attended by nothing but birdcalls.  Suddenly the rains made entry like a king. Overjoyed I looked up at the sky and the soft pellets hit me, went pitter patter, all across the street, hydrating me deep within.It is again the month of wonderment and renewal.It is again the month of mangoes and it is again the magic month of "Monsoons".
Its a wonderous feeling to experience nature's loveplay between the lush land-scape and the moist sky. Its an indescribable feeling when the secret of the earth, rain and fragrance hits you. The ecstacy of the drenched earth cannot be kept a secret. It rises to the sky as pure musk. Fulfilled, the earth is once again ready to sprout leaf and spread a fecund green.The parched earth's prayers and it's giant sigh of longing for those heavenly drops is answered with torrents of downpour.Indeed it is the month of renewal and celebration.

Let me take you on a chilhood tour to my small ancestral village in Assam where the rains are notorious for causing havoc, bringing miseries, when the rivers swell up claiming human lives. But I have distinct memories  of the monsoon rains pounding on my grandfather's home, the corrugated iron roofs sounding like drums being beaten in ecstacy- dum, dum dum... and it was music all around.
Today, twenty years later in Mumbai, I open up my arms wide enough to welcome the rain god, urging him to quench me with as much blessings posssible. For the rains are not just rains for me. They open up the old, muddy,  roads to my grandfather's home, where I see my granny preparing the evening meal, and at the same time trying to fill all the earthen pots with rain water, while I sneak out slowly and get drenched, happily dirtying my clothes with mud and playing on the small puddles of rain. And my mother yelling at me from inside the house, threatening me that this would be the last holiday to Assam if I do not come inside instantly. Seeing me defying my mother's call, my siblings and cousins join me. The defiance of authority, the company of my siblings and cousins and on top of it the rain creating a muddy playground for us and small rivers to make sailboats, taking turns to make one, strugging to keep one's sailboat floating and looking for slightest opportunity to drown the others turned me into a small maniac. Not to mention the thrashings I received once my mother caught hold of me.  Words are not enough to describe those feelings, and now, when I look back I have nothing but gratitude for the "showers of blessings". 

Rains have been integral in  shaping a home for me. They still hammer the corrugated iron roofs inside my heart, or at least they revive those feelings. They still make me remember my granny and grandpa and they still make me think of my siblings. 



allvoices

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nostalgic post:) I simply loved the flow, the simplicity, the richness but precision of language and of course the sheer joy with which you have portrayed the Muse - rains.

"Mind time travel" - as I choose to call it - has always impressed me Abdul. And by drawing parallels between this monsoon (in a city) and that (in your village) you have probably succeeded in portraying more emotions than you think.

A nostalgic post... full of love, full of purity without the smog in which we as urban dwellers are beset!

Unknown said...

how true... can relate to every word every emotion...can feel the joy the longing....

Bhairannavar Kiran said...

Wonderful. I travelled wid u from office to home in Mumbai and Assam home. I saw there little Abdul rejoicing the rain ....making paper boats and jumping in the puddles. Those paper boats make me remember JNU days when I did do sail them in water gathered infront of our hostel rooms.

well written...write more of it. just waiting to hear it.

Anonymous said...

hey yaar this is kool. although i might not be that equipped to appreciate the intricacies of it.. i loved the use of words.....

Novice said...

Hey Poo! This is like the flight of a lark-It goes up in th esky and when you feel that it will be there...it comes right to the ground..and when you start looking for it on the ground, it's up there in the sky again...

Raindrops makes me visit what's going on in your mind and precisely at a moment that I think it's about castles you bring me down to the reality and as I get stuck with reality you take me to the castles :)

Miss Komal said...

Ah! the eternal bliss of rains .
Beautiful post :-)

anilkumar108 said...

'Rains have been integral in shaping a home...'
that is a truly beautiful line...
nice post..amazingly original stream of feelings from the river of memory...
i would also like to feel..how rain is not only essentially a blessing for human life.and earth..but also a curse for some..as you have already seen in your place....that's nature....beauty and cruelty..life and death..this paradox is itself also a beauty..

rains are rains...it kindles fire with water....it deflates and/or complelemtns sun with its sublime and serene presence....and finally embraces its lover soil..who grows life on this earth....

beautiful post abdul...very nicley expressed...you have reaaly got a 'calling'....

Ayesha said...

Ahhhhhhh...the beauty of rains! I guess no matter where you are or with whom, you find ways to enjoy the beauty of rains! Of course being with special people always makes it memorable.....the puddles, the smell of the earth, the first drops hitting your body and just the the pure joy of getting drenched without any inhibition is so pure!

Last week I went to the terrace at 12 in the night just to get drenched....and i just loved it, one of my best rain moments.

I just know what you are talking wbout in your post, your granny preparing food, its evening time and you getting drenced with all your siblings....I can imagine what it was like!!

Ayesha said...

I am too tempted to write about some of my rain moments.....its just too nostalgic!

Sharma JN said...

It is simply wonderful. U r really a wonder boy. The lucid description with beautiful appropriate words reminds me of my irish english teacher in school who used to teach us how to write simple, precise and rich language.
A sucessful portrayal of the assam monsoon comparing with Mumbai.

Sharma JN said...

Have u read Chetan Bhagat?
Aftr reading your compositions I was compelled to thnk that u should write longer thoughts, may be a book on the background of ur stay in the NE.

Sharma JN said...

Expecting some more to read? Will u write or ur very busy in office work.